So many of us are not AC blessed. I am definitely in that category. I can’t even afford a window air conditioner and my house faces west. Yaaaaay-no. So let’s get started!
- Tint your damn windows. Do it. Get tinting film from a hardware store and tint the bodiggly out of them.
They work by reflecting up to 70% of sunlight and absorbing a good amount of it too. It helps to cool your house in the summer and warm it up in the winter. Score!
- Thermal curtains. Or dark opaque ones.Building on the first point, you can layer these to further reduce the amount of light that comes in.
Thermal ones have a reflective side facing outside so they work better than plain opaque ones, but hey, work with what you can get your hands on.
- When you’ve done the above two, CLOSE YOUR DAMN BLINDS AND OR CURTAINS. I feel like I shouldn’t have to say this, but just in case.
- Unless your insulation is amazing out of this world you’re gonna want to have all your windows open because guaranteed the outside air is cooler than your inside air.And if you don’t have window screens, then uh, get them. Do whatever it takes.
- Fans actually work!If you wet your skin. So keep a spray bottle or basin with a towel near you and it will feel like heaven.
- And obviously keep a stash of cold drinks in your fridge.
F Y I
Fans only cool people down, so don’t leave them on in other rooms or running when you’re going out.